Thursday, April 16, 2009

Shades of life

I used to be so certain, so morally right. I used to think in black and white. I used to think I knew what was going on. Now I am not so sure. I still judge, oh yes, I do. But I seem to have more compassion, less certainty. Whereas before I could not sanction, under any circumstances, what I thought to be wrong, now I am understanding why certain actions can happen.

I am willing to give the benefit of the doubt realizing I do not know all the facts. And I do not know all the history, or what goes on behind closed doors. Come to find out that many of the parents in my neighborhood thought my father a dignified, quiet man, and my mother a saint for taking on three children.

I watched the Inauguration this year and felt compassion for W; to be so confused and almost shunned. I never felt that before.

As my life changes I ask myself if I am hurting others, and try like hell not to be a source of hurt. What can I do to be a source of happiness, though? How can I improve my life? How can I heal myself and what can I do to be a force for goodness in this world? How can I make my life a positive influence on the world around me and not spread negativity?

Today, I will try to be a conscious entity mindful of the gift of life and the beauty of Creation, all Creation. I will take my parents to the doctor and smile and wish them well and be thankful for the gift of service.

Memory! Serve me well.

No comments:

Post a Comment