Thursday, April 2, 2009

Gracefully or ungracefully, we all age


I have left one computer addiction for another and unfortunately it is called Facebook. You see someone you know, look at who they know, and on and on. Horrible and fun at the same time. Recently I was looking at people from my High School. One man looks just like he did when I met him in kindegarten. I would know him anywhere. The pretty girl from my youth? I didn't recognize her at all, but I did see her mother. Wow. Some years ago I took a self portrait and sent it to my father. He sent me a picture of his mother that I had never seen before. Holy moly, I looked just like her only with a modern hairdo. My nieces post pictures of their new babies and I see them getting older before my eyes. No one, not even a newborn baby, stays young. Being alive means getting older day by day.

There is only one sure cure to stop the aging process. There isn't a cream or procedure that will do it. Only death stops aging. It doesn't stop the decaying of the body, but it stops the aging of the person as we know them. I am reading a fascinating book right now. It is called "Stiff" by Mary Roach and it is a funny and factual book about what happens to cadavers. I started reading it for a book club and have found it very interesting in a macabre way. It proves my point that a good author can write well about almost anything.

Seeing the facebook pictures of my old classmates made me wonder, what do they see, when they look at me? I hope I am aging gracefully. I hope they see someone who likes to laugh, who enjoys being with friends. I know they will get the point that I like eating. I have a picture that my friend Jude photoshopped for me. It is so glamorous. I think...yeah...I AM going to put it as my profile picture in facebook. Eat your heart out Canarsie High!

No comments:

Post a Comment