Monday, January 10, 2011

"You should teach a college course!" he said.

Sometimes life gives you a break. Getting to demonstrate Peanut Brittle made in the bakery was easy and fun. Just the right product after being gone because I had been ill for a week. This peanut brittle bore little resemblance to the tooth breaking hard stuff that comes in a box from the drugstore. This peanut brittle was more peanuts than brittle, if you know what I mean. Of course I had to make sure every child had permission and quite a few adults told me that they couldn't eat peanuts either. "You wouldn't want to see what would happen to me," one man said. I replied that I wouldn't either.

This was really primo brittle, nearly all glossy, big peanuts in a buttery sweet base. It broke easily and tasted fine. One lady said it had sugar. Yes, it is candy. One man said it had fat. Yes, it is candy. I teased a man who declined a piece while his wife took one. I joked that he was too skinny, have a piece. Wowza! I hit a very sore spot indeed. He turned and said that America was too fat, that he had a perfect BMI. I agreed and told him I was joking. Another woman said it wouldn't fit into her New Year's resolution. I said, of course it would since her resolution was to gain some weight, wasn't it? She laughed and laughed, but she really could have stood to gain a pound or ten.

Peanut Brittle brings up many memories. More than one person said their father or grandfather loved it. I would suggest they get a tub to give as a gift. Many people said it was always a Christmas time treat. But the best reaction came from one older man.

He stood at the cart sampling the product. He said his wife loved it, that it was her favorite candy. I said he should get some and surprise her. I told him that she would probably be quite pleased that he thought of her. This was a very nice man but you could see that the idea of a spontaneous gift of thoughtfulness had never crossed his mind. I told him to tell her he saw peanut brittle and he thought about how much she enjoyed it. Then he thought he should show her the package and see if she wanted some. (She was somewhere in the store.) I gave him an especially nice sample and told him to bring it to her and say the same thing about how he had been thinking of her. He said to me, "You should teach a college course!"

Several minutes later he came back. I was standing in front of the cart at the time and he came up and hugged me. "You were right!" he cried. She loved it and she was amazed and thrilled that he thought of her. He wanted to know how I knew. I said everyone wants to be thought well of, and noticed. That it was nice to get a tangible token of that notice. It didn't have to be expensive, just thoughtful. He kept saying I should teach a course. Can you teach common sense?

It is common sense to show the ones you love that you are thinking of them. It could be showing them an article on something you know interests them, or bringing home a cd of their favorite artist. It can be noticing fatigue and taking over a chore. We do it for our children all the time. Of course they depend on us for all their needs, but the care to get the right super hero underpants when white would do just as well is another way to show our love.

Remember, not all of us are mind readers, in fact very few are. So, let's not just think good thoughts of each other. Let's also bring home some peanut brittle. The rewards might be great.

1 comment:

  1. Good one! Once in a while, Josh will stop at Cupcake and bring home a box of four for me. I love little acts of affection like that. Good advice, indeed!

    ReplyDelete