Sunday, January 9, 2011

Compassion means

Compassion means being able to put yourself in another's shoes, if only for an instant.

I often post quotes from the Dalai Lama. He is always talking about compassion. That the answer to the world's problems is compassion. If you really see the opposition as human, as being the same as you, then you can work together. It sounds so simple that I don't understand why we don't do it. When I see mean spiritedness, it always knocks me out. I just want to shake the dense one. I usually don't understand why I have gotten upset and why I can't make my point.

The press conference in Mississippi was playing on the TV in the break room on Friday. Two sisters who had life sentences for armed robbery were being released from prison on the condition that one give the other a needed kidney. Turns out they only got $11.00 during the robbery. Turns out that one of them had three children, seven, three, and eleven months who are all grown up now. I do not know the details of the crime and trial. But I know that the punishment did not fit the crime and you have to be pretty desperate to commit armed robbery, especially if you are not good at it.

While I was sitting there watching the press conference, discussion was going on around me. One man insisted that "If you did the crime, you had to do the time." He was insistent that they should have thought about that before they held the man up. He COULD NOT see any other point than his own. He could not put himself in their shoes for just a minute. (Bold, capitals, and underlining is to make the point of how unable he was to show ANY compassion.) He could not imagine being a young, impoverished, uneducated, ignorant, desperate unwed mother of three in Mississippi. I tried to tell him how little money a woman like that would get in Minnesota, no less Mississippi, one of the poorest states in the nation, but he could not understand. For him, it was all about thinking first and consequences.


I believe in consequences. I do. But I also know that none of us is perfect and that there have been times I paid too much for the little I did, and other times when Providence did not make me pay as much as I should have, all things being equal. 


Because the Arab States do not see the right of Israel to exist, and because the Israelis do not see the Palestinians as equal partners, strife exists. Because the legislators who have government health care do not have compassion, millions of Americans have either inadequate or no health care coverage. Because people of all parties and persuasions have an I, me, mine, attitude, true progress cannot be made to alleviate the suffering of the world.


When corporations, who are not separate entities, but are made up of people, have no compassion for the people who create their riches, pollution of land and wholesale despair of workforces occur. Give the workers as little possible. Do not provide enough latrines or time to use them, and two things occur. Either you create a criminal class who cannot live that way, or one of scared, hopeless people. These are outrages that happen in the athletic shoe factories of Indonesia. Yet it has been documented that outrages such having to urinate while standing in a chicken processing plant also occur in the United States. It is not only the low paid who have to sacrifice. There is a young, mother of three I know who makes a good salary but had to take home hours of work every night. Her life belonged to the corporation too.

What is it that we as individuals can do? We can try to see our opposition as humans with human characteristics. We can try to stop demonizing anyone who thinks other than the way we do. Paul Wellstone was amazing at being friends with people with whom he did not agree. We can try to be a little nicer. We can work a little harder for the things we believe in.

I suffered for eight years of the Bush presidency without a shred of compassion for the President. I still don't know what our and his karma was. I don't think I will ever understand how his election occurred. But the day I saw a confused, unpopular man walk onto the inauguration stage, and then fly away, I learned compassion. I saw him as human and I could no longer hate. I also saw I had to give up hating him, which in some weird way I enjoyed. Don't get me wrong. The actions of his administration are still an anathema to me, but I can't hate him personally anymore. Unfortunately I have not come to a compassionate point of view towards Cheney, Rove, and the other band of criminals.

I have been sick all week and seem to be getting better. Thank you modern medicine. It feels like I am thinking more clearly. If someone reads this and thinks I am a wooly-headed bleeding heart, I have to say this is the way I am and I hope you can see my point of view, if only for a minute.

Let's all have a good laugh. Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment