Wednesday, January 19, 2011

I couldn't give it away

There used to be an old nun who sat in the Fourteenth Street subway station in NY. She had a little stool and a basket that sat in her lap. I never had a clue what she was supposed to do. Looking back, I think she was begging. She never asked for anything, and once in a while I saw a nickel in the basket. She was old and didn't have much energy. Maybe she was saying the rosary and having an incredible experience of Grace. Maybe she was looking for Jesus in every commuter. Hard to say.

It was dead at the warehouse store today and people were buying the basics. I had a rather dubious product to sample, a "zero calorie nutrient enriched water beverage".  It wasn't even one of the good ones with 100% of Vitamin C. The first three ingredients were water, preservative, and sucralose. I hope there wasn't a secret shopper because I was warning people with children that it had artificial sweetener. When people thought it tasted awful, like cheap Kool-Aid, I agreed. It was so slow, and I couldn't give it away for free.

About four-thirty, I tried doing isometrics, then leg lifts and neck rolls, etc. I looked like a nut. So then I decided I was going to look for the divine in each person who came by. I started smiling more and was a welcoming presence. I had an interesting conversation with a vegetarian who I told how to cook tofu. A man and his three children and I had a talk about manners. I told one of his kids that I couldn't give him anything until he asked please daddy. Then I told him what wonderful manners he had. The few people in the store trickled by. I didn't try to sell them the product, how could I? Did I want the children of God to be drinking this stuff? Really, I couldn't give it away.

I think about that nun, sitting day after day, year after year in that dirty subway station. Was it something she looked forward to? Was she seeing God in the humanity that passed by or was it a penance, a way to pass time until her heavenly reward? What about me? What am I doing with my time? Am I waiting for my heavenly reward or making my own heaven? I don't know what will happen when I die. I know what I hope for, but sort of doubt will occur. So I had better search for the divine in every moment and make my actions worthy of the gift of life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment