Sunday, January 30, 2011

Successes or Failures?

Whereas I just write what is on my mind and heart, my niece, Emma, takes it one step further. She asks her readers to reflect on the subject at hand and how it relates in their lives. One recent posting, http://emmawilhelm.com/2011/01/23/successes-or-failures/ discusses whether we learn better from success or failure and asks how it manifests in our lives.

For me, a harder question is whether a success really is a success or is a failure really a failure? Is there some way to turn it around to look at it from the other side? If I have grown from a failure, can it be counted as a success? If I have stepped on others to achieve success and in the process have damaged my soul, isn't it really a failure?

Words, words, words, words, words. With words we can bestow feelings of success on ourselves and others. And words can hurt. I remember my boss extravagantly praising something I did well and I felt it wasn't sincere and didn't take it seriously. I remember my dad telling me I was a failure. I told him I was only eighteen, how could I be a failure? I couldn't take him seriously either.

When a woman is pregnant, she doesn't wish for a genius or an athlete. She wishes for a healthy baby. That is success. I was very grateful to have beautiful, healthy children and although I hope they have material success, it is more important that they are decent human beings. Thirty years on, I look at them as people who are ethical, honest, loving, and real. Real successes.

When I lost the job where I excelled, it didn't hurt at first. I had done good work and felt successful in what I left behind. But as time went on and I realized how a supervisor had manipulated me into feeling scared and bad, I felt like a failure.  The abandonment I experienced balanced against the praise I had received from the national office was quite confusing. Sort of like winning a battle but losing a war.

I learn from failure, but it can hurt and cause discouraging inertia and fear of trying. It is much more satisfying to learn from success. It makes me want more and give more. It seems to me, when there is a chance to be positive, I should choose the light. I know I will eventually get there again from failure, but oh, getting out of the hole can be exhausting. Let's make a pact to help each other out of the pits, or better yet, encourage the road without the gaping chasms.

1 comment:

  1. You raise a really good point here. We are have the power to encourage each other (genuinely is far better, of course). I could definitely see this in action as a coach, and that's probably what I loved about it the most. Think of all the people out there who receive little to no encouragement--especially kids who really need it. Thanks for making me think!

    ReplyDelete