Friday, November 30, 2012

A girl who CAN say no.

I am someone who, at least in my own opinion, tries to go out of my way to help people. I hardly ever say no, and that sometimes has been a problem of my own making. But today I said no, and instead of feeling guilty, feel OK.

There is a woman who lives in this building who winters in Tucson. She spends her summer here in Minnesota to be near her daughter, son-in-law, and grandchildren. She called me today from Tucson to ask me to take a taxi to a car dealer and pick up her van that had work done. She told me they called to say the weather was changing and they didn't want to keep it on the lot. I said no and told her to ask her daughter who had someone to drive her to the lot and home.

I can remember the last time I said no. My daughter asked me to buy a baby grand piano. Nope, wasn't going to happen. To be fair, she never expected me to do it either; just pulling old mom's leg. What I like best is doing things before I am asked, seeing an opportunity to assist and jumping in.

Several years ago I took my folks to a concert at Lake Harriet Pavilion. We were sitting in lawn chairs watching as a young woman with a toddler in a back pack and an infant in a loaded stroller tried to make it across the area when a wheel fell off the stroller. She was in a fix and a hundred people were watching. I got up, helped her negotiate the distance to the parking lot and came back. So many people thanked me for helping. Well, yes, you are welcome. But why didn't one of them jump up? I know if that had been me struggling I would have looked at someone and asked for help. But then again... I am from NY.

I like holding doors and carrying packages for old people. I like tying a little child's shoe. I like wishing people a good weekend or telling someone they have a terrific family. I like making people feel good. (I can see someone rolling her eyes right now, but it is true.) I like giving of my time and resources.

There is no profound point to this blog. Or maybe there is. Maybe I had to tell myself, again, that it is OK to say no sometimes.

No comments:

Post a Comment