Thursday, June 17, 2010

The assumption of evil

I love my little condo. I enjoy meeting my neighbors. I am making friends. I am part of a community. It is driving me crazy, and as S used to remind me, for me it is a very short drive.

I made friends with some of the older ladies in the building and was invited to book club. It was fun and intellectually stimulating. I had a wonderful time until the social part. There is a spy network here that drives me crazy. They always say it is to keep the building nice but that isn't what makes me nuts. It is the assumption of evil. If they see something, and let me tell you they are watching, they automatically assume a bad connotation. It is not innocent until proven guilty, it is guilty until proven innocent.

One woman started talking about people coming to use the pool and then driving away. These were lovely young people who sat doing Soduku puzzles. They were not loud or obnoxious. I spoke with one young man who dove in against the rules. I told him in a lighthearted way not to dive because the water was too shallow and I didn't know lifesaving and didn't want him to drown. No problem, he would not dive again. We got to talking, he was gutting his parent's condo and living there while doing the work. I asked if he knew the other young people and he told me they were his cousins. Nice.

I told the group these facts and there ensued a discussion about one of the owners needing to be at the pool with the guests. Why nit pick? His parents own the condo, he is a resident for now, he was with his guests. Why assume anything is wrong? Why not assume goodness, innocence, and the absence of evil until shown otherwise?

I'm not an idiot. I am careful and cautious. I refuse, though, to live my life assuming the worst of others. Prove me wrong, I'm willing to take the chance.


2 comments:

  1. Some apartment complexes are like that too, and some neighbors in houses. Not to mention co-workers and even family! In their minds they seem to live in Peyton Place. Or Satan Place!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jude, you outed me and my new Satan Place pleasure palace!

    ReplyDelete