Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Is it a real friendship or only social networking?

Years ago someone wrote to Miss Manners saying that she and her husband used to work as executives at a large corporation. They did a ton of entertaining with people who worked there. They felt they made some real and lasting friends but when they retired, all those work friends seemed to melt away. The writer wanted to know what had happened to their social life. Miss Manners gently pointed out that they had confused work relationships for friendship. When the proximity and shared interests were no longer there, neither was the relationship.

So too can be the "friends" we make online. I had an example of this brought home to me recently. I used to belong to an adults only website and had a wonderful time corresponding with people all over the country. Many of those same people are on facebook and I kept up the social networking. One of those contacts is going to be in my area and I wanted to meet while they were here. I was told that we really did not have anything in common and there was no interest in meeting. Ah well. At first I had that immediate rejection reaction and then I realized it was refreshing to be told the truth. Why waste time? Although I have many people marked as friends on my profile, I realize not all of them are friends. Some are just part of this social networking phenomena.

My email name is friendindeedy. It comes from the saying, "A friend in need is a friend indeed, but an all the time friend is better." If you have me marked as one of your friends, I AM your friend, whether we have met or only corresponded. And if you don't really want or appreciate my friendship, just delete me. I won't mind.

2 comments:

  1. I had something similar happen recently as well, although they didn't come right out and say so. Just left me rearranging my schedule and waiting to hear back... Silly to be disappointed, I guess, but I really thought this single woman and I had developed a friendship.

    Shows what I know about relationships. *shrug* Won't be the last time I get surprised like that, either... You too, I suspect. Sorry to hear it.

    Denise

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good grief, what if we could only care about people who are like us!! How lonely I would be, since I'm an eccentric! Luckily, I like a variety of people! It takes years of being ignored for me to quit sending birthday cards...

    ReplyDelete