Tuesday, April 27, 2010

An evening of winning and losing

I've started going back to a friendly Tuesday night meet-up with nice people, some singles, some married. It is a traveling meet sometimes in Savage or St Paul. Tonight it was in Hopkins, just down the street. I went and sat with friends while enjoying a veggie burger and tater tots. Gosh those are great junk. Since I am always my own designated driver, I don't drink. Tonight I stuck with water.

It was bar trivia night and we made a little team and called it the Ho Ho's because we were jolly and love chocolate. It also sounded a little nasty. Oh I am a wild one, competitive too. About three quarters of the way through two teammates left and a new friend joined our group. He was a tall good looking guy similar to Bill Clinton in size and coloring. I did not tell him that. We did well on the first round getting ten out of ten and eight out of ten on the next. Not so great on the third round but I was having fun. I sat down next to the new guy and we were having fun getting to know each other.

I remember talking with my sister-in-law several years ago and telling her that if I had to date again I just wouldn't do it. The reality is that one gets lonely. I am terrified of rejection and would never just go sit at a bar and wait to get picked up. Who has the patience for that? Not me. So I have joined groups. I actually wrote my number on a piece of paper and because I thought I would like to see him again sometime, I gave it to him.

Now to the winning. My team won trivia! I got a $20. gift card to use the next time we meet at that place. That was cool.

Now to the losing. In an instant the subject turned to politics. He is an Obama basher who loved Bush. He accused me of being an Obama worshiper and gave me back my number. I don't worship Obama, and I am not crazy about some of his policies. I mentioned that Bush suborned the Constitution and this guy said Obama has done much worse and they are all crooks. There is no talking to someone with a closed mind. Just try me on the subject of the Bush Administration. I'm as closed as they come.

At the end of the day I'm starting to think it is all winning. I won trivia and I put myself out there. I met someone and I didn't have to kiss him to find out he is a frog. I still have half a sandwich and a gift card, yep, I'm a winner all the way.

4 comments:

  1. Indeed.

    I can imagine much worse timing for finding out something that is such a complete turn-off...

    Congratulations on all of the above!

    Denise F.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Denise,

    Thanks for your support and comments!

    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  3. You were wise not to be with the man. While you may not be the second coming of Emma Goldman (not that that is a bad thing to strive for) I think you are to the left of most of what Obama is proposing. Don't change

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay Suta! You were your brave honest self! And you had a good time to the extent that it was possible with that person. Onward and upward! These gatherings sound like fun!

    ReplyDelete