Monday, December 31, 2012

Minnesota Tuff and Minnesota Stupid

Minnesotans are a hardy bunch, they can take the cold better than extreme heat and, in a way, almost rise above the winter. I have one friend, originally from Chile, who wears short sleeves, sandals and short pants year round. He is my age and has been in Minnesota about forty years. He carries a coat with him in the car to shut other people up. He is on the hardiest end of the spectrum. People with lower internal thermostats are on the other. Most of us fall somewhere in-between.

I remember visiting friends in Brooklyn when the girls were about four and eight. The mother of the family was simply appalled that I didn't make them wear undershirts in what she considered very cold weather. To me, it was above freezing, and if they kept a hood on outside, I was quite happy. You have to know how to pick your battles and undershirts weren't on my list.

Yesterday, though, I got a little frustrated with a father who did not know when to pick his battle. All day long I saw teenagers and older come into the store wearing just a sweatshirt. I thought ten degrees deserved more than that, but hey, if their parents, wearing only light jackets themselves, approved... Then I saw a cart with two little children, maybe three and four, a boy and a girl. They were stopped right by me. The little boy was appropriately dressed but the little girl was not. Remember it was only ten degrees. She was wearing a little dress and a jacket. Her legs were bare and she was not wearing socks or tights or pants. I asked where her pants were and dad answered she didn't like to wear pants. I looked at him. It was ten degrees out! I said it was quite cold. Well, he didn't like to fight with her.

Children are wonderful, sometimes irrational, and sometimes downright stupid beings. That is why they have parents to take make protective choices for them. I had friends who said their six week old didn't like the car seat so they let her make the decision and held her instead. Then there are situations where child safety is not an issue. I have a friend whose son could not tolerate socks and closed shoes when he was younger. They lived in a moderate climate and compromised on sturdy sandals. My daughter hated bibs. Rather than fight with her, I let her clothes get dirty. It was easier for me to wash the little garments than fight with her. But letting a small child go out in ten degree weather with nothing on her lower body is not the kind of battle to admit defeat. It is cold out, you can't go without the proper clothing. Period. Be the parent and insist.

To everyone who reads this: Treat each other with love and laughter in the coming year. Take good care of your health, get rest, and have a wonderful new year. I'm serious, and I insist!


No comments:

Post a Comment