Sunday, March 11, 2012

Alcohol

I grew up in a home where alcohol was lightly used and never abused. My father had a complete shelf of liquor in the pantry and a bottle of scotch or anything else lasted a very long time. In the summer he would make a Tom Collins and we were always able to taste them. Had we asked, he would have made us our own cocktail. A sip was enough for me. I disliked Manhattans, and that was about the extent of his bar tending. On hot days he would sometimes have a beer. One beer, not a six pack. One New Year's Eve, my sister and I stayed home while the folks went to a party. We had little paper party poppers and a bottle of Champale Malt Liquor to use in our celebration. Alcohol was never prohibited, never made to look especially attractive, and just not much of a big deal at all. It amazed me as a young adult that my friends felt the need to finish off a bottle of tequila, or rum or anything. I didn't understand why they didn't just put it back on the shelf for next time.

The first time I got stinking drunk was the night before leaving summer camp at seventeen. I had scotch and port and blacked out. I did not pass out and was sick as a dog the next day. I remember having to sweep the cabin with shaking knees. Anne, my co-counselor, had no sympathy for me at all. It was such a horrible experience that I did not get drunk again for four years. I would have a Black Russian or Harvey Wallbanger on a date, and that was that until I attended a McGovern rally in 1972. I had been drinking some tequila and did not realize how inebriated I was until I started drinking beer. I never drink beer because I can't stand the smell or taste. I guess I was a riot on the dance floor and the town because people told me about it for days. What I do remember is hugging the toilet for days, shaking and ill and wanting to die. I was twenty and told myself I was too old for that shit. On the fourth day a nice young man came by to take me to breakfast. I think he saved my life.

Over the next twenty-five years I had fewer than five drinks. When I started going to conferences I made a Baily's last all night. Sometimes I finished an entire hard lemonade. My daughter found a wine I could drink and hey, all grown up now.  These days I have a half of a glass of wine at Thanksgiving and I'm good for the year. I seem to have lost my taste for alcohol.

Last night I met a friend for dinner at Thanh Do. They were swamped and we sat in the bar. She asked for a Vodka Gimlet, and to make it green. She said it tasted like limeade. I had one, too. It was tasty. I didn't feel inebriated until we made our way to the table, then I felt it. Sharon is my age, widowed, and we have a lot in common. We both want to be adored again and talked about what we are looking for. Service was slow and dinner took about two hours. By the time we left I didn't feel the alcohol at all. I went home and watched TV, but midnight found me feeling amazingly sorry for myself and weeping.

Today I was not hungover in the traditional sense. No dry heaves or headache, just tired and slow brain function. A two hour nap after work did wonders. Woke up feeling that here was an other cocktail I could enjoy. I am not saying I won't have one again sometime, but maybe I'll just have limeade instead. All the taste, nothing of the tiredness.

No comments:

Post a Comment