Tuesday, February 22, 2011

More life under the visor

It was another day of demonstrating AmLactin body moisturizer. It is a pretty easy sell. I mean everyone in Minnesota has winter dry skin. At one point a strange young man with a turquoise stud in his upper lip studied a bottle of lotion. I asked if he would like a drop. He told me he didn't put carcinogens on his body. O... K, what carcinogens was he talking about? Parabens. I truly don't think the number one recommended by dermatologists and podiatrist lotion is going to cause cancer. I didn't argue, everyone has his or her own particular ax to grind. (I for one have a list against Ronald Reagan, but don't get me started.)

Lately I have been wearing a pair of men's black jeans to work. They were quite inexpensive; unfortunately they don't always stay up on my waist. I was pulling up my pants when two old men walked by giving me a funny look. I said I needed a belt, and to my surprise the skinny one said what I needed was to lose weight. I looked at him for a moment and said, "Thanks Dad!" I should have said, "My what a tacky thing to say." So they didn't break the mold when they made my old man. There are other rude old farts out there.

It is always fun to see the little ones put up their little starfish hands to get a drop of lotion and rub it in. I'd give them just the merest hint of lotion. All in all, I pushed about 30 bottles in 6 hours. As I said, it is an easy sell this time of year.

Yesterday two people linked me with Satan. The store was almost empty and I was standing around with a tray of Macadamia Caramel Clusters when a woman said, "Satan, get thee behind me." Really! I told her she was confused. I was the angel of chocolate. Later another woman told me I was the devil. I responded that I was offering her life affirming candy and was an angel.  I'm just a Jewish girl from Brooklyn, I don't do the devil's work. I told the third one who referenced the devil to please not project their own weaknesses on me. Yikes.

I have discovered a way to distinguish people who did not grow up in MN from the natives.  Offer something and the Minnesotan will say, "I'm good" and walk by. Once in a while someone from out of state will say, "No thank you" and walk by. People in Minnesota just don't say no thank you. It's true, they are all either good or fine. Customers knew I wasn't from around here because I pronounced all three syllables in caramel instead of carmel. It doesn't mean much, just an observation.

"So here's to you as good as you are!
And here's to me as bad as I am!
And as bad as I am,
And as good as you are
I'm as good as you are
As bad as I am!"
-old toast

L'chiam, to life!

5 comments:

  1. I was breaker yesterday and one product was the macadamia clusters. I used the three syllable caramel too. But I think that's only because I also was saying three syllable chocolate and five syllable macadamia. It just fit better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a rude old man! >:(

    As for the strange young man, though... Parabens are a cheap preservative; that's why they're used in so many things. They're cheap. And there really is some controversy around them, including possible links to breast cancers. You can look it up on Wikipedia if you're curious.

    As for me (and a lot of people) I'm allergic to them, so I am happy to see that more and more products are now being labeled "Paraben Free", especially since they're found in EVERYTHING. Hair dye, makeup, sunblock, shampoo, personal lubricants, food... Gah!

    Guess that's one of my axes. And in Montana - 'we're good', too... Not sure why. *shrug*

    Keep bloggin', Sister!

    Denise F. in Cali.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Eri, I told people if they needed to check the label they couldn't have them.

    Somehow, Denise, when you tell me about parabens I learn something. I am not sensitive to them but will start paying attention to ingredients in products. The old man is using this particular lotion with very good results. He stopped moaning about his itching back, at last.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Moms,

    To anybody the devil could be anywhere and anything tempting them with anything that they are trying to avoid. I am sorry that you were called the devil. But don't take it personally.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Don't worry, I do not take devil talk seriously. Kind of amusing in a way.

    ReplyDelete