Friday, May 14, 2010

Karaoke emotions

if you had asked me a few years ago if I would ever sing Karaoke, I would have said you were out of your mind if you thought I would even be in the same place as Karaoke. But when I joined a group that met on Tuesdays I was introduced to the doubtful pleasure of singing out loud in front of people. In the movie "My Best Friend's Wedding" Julia Roberts manipulates Cameron Diaz into singing a love song to her fiance, hoping it would turn him off and he would realize he loved Julia, not Cameron. But with tears of love, Cameron sings, quite awfully, to her love and he loves her even more.

Well, of that whole scenario, the only thing I have in common with Cameron Diaz is awful singing. The first time I tried it I had to have a friend sing with me and I nearly soaked my shirt with sweat. A year later, I get up with confidence and still sing rather awfully, and have a good time. Tonight I sang Bonnie Raitt's "Nick of Time." I really love that song. I love the rhythm and melody (when I can find it) and the lyrics. They really touch me. She talks about watching her parents grow old and them watching her grow old, too. Then she sings about when she had cried all she could cry and had given up, love found her, just in the nick of time. One woman sang two Judd's songs that I really like. When she sang "Mama he's crazy, and in my life is where he wants to be, I've never been so loved, he beats all I've ever seen, Mama he's crazy, crazy over me", I know that is what I want and that I won't settle for less. When she sang "Grandpa, tell me about the good old days," I remembered driving from Burnsville to Jordan with that song playing and little Eri singing along. I felt I was living that good life where daddies never went away. I remember being thankful for my life.

Today, I am more sure than ever that when I fall in love, if ever, it will have to be with someone who is crazy over me. I like my own company and am not scared of being alone. I miss dancing with my best friend, and laughing, and having a goal with a partner. That is too bad. It is not the end of the world, just the end of an era. Maybe I will find new people to laugh with, not just one. Maybe I will find a new group to dance with, not just one. Maybe working with others I will find a new goal that brings joy through effort.

I read inspirational quotes. I try to take them to heart. I know this life was made for joy, happiness, bliss, and serving the Creator and creation. I'm not going to be "scared to allow the time." I know that if I ever find love again it will be "in the nick of time" and it will be with someone who is "crazy over me." No fear, no fear.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Mom, Why did we stop listening to country? I never considered myself much of a country fan but since I've been talking about music I grew up listening to I discovered that we really did listen to quite a bit.

    Why did we stop? Is it because country styles changed, or because as Laur and I grew older we wanted to listen to what was "popular", or did our tastes (collectively) change?

    I am thinking that it was probably a combination of all of those plus Laur and I and yes, Dad too, riding roughshod over what you wanted.

    But - kudos to you. I can't do karaoke unless I'm three sheets to the wind and have someone up there with me! It sounds ridiculous to say this to someone who I've known all my life and shaped who I am and who I'll become... But I'm glad that I'm finally getting to know you as a person and as a friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it is because when we moved to Orono we were able to pick up more stations and we weren't in the car so much. I also started listening to MPR much more. 101.3 KDWB!

    I love knowing you, too.

    ReplyDelete