Monday, March 18, 2013

The News Since 2/11

It has been over a month since I last posted a blog and a lot has happened; I lost my job, started a long correspondence with an interesting individual, attended a Women in Transition workshop, and most important of all, welcomed my newborn grandson, Nathaniel. He is not my first grandchild, that is his brother Gavin who came to us when Erica married John. He's lovely and loving and I am so glad to know him, but at twelve he's too big to cuddle under my chin. Nathaniel is my first grandbaby. I spent a goodly while today holding him on my chest. He's such a mellow little peanut. Babies really are the world made new. I am in love with that precious bundle.

The Women in Transition workshop was held over two days, four participants and the leader. Earlier in the month we all took personality and career assessment tests to learn our strengths and weaknesses. Nothing very surprising in the results; I hate rules, I like people, I would rather start a project than follow it through, I don't like discord and disharmony, and thrive in an atmosphere of cooperation and respect. I commented that everyone wants that. Much to my surprise I found out that some people do their best work under conditions of tension. Indeed, when I think about it there are people I know who like to stir the pot just to see what happens and how others will react. That is not for me, oh no, no, no.

One of the exercises we did was writing about pictures in magazines. Each person wrote about what they saw, I wrote stories. One picture was of a plant in a laboratory, one of an astronaut on a space walk. I wrote of them both being alone, of their strength and situations. Other people wrote straight descriptions, this is a hummingbird, this is a blue car. But to me, everything is a story. It is also the way I speak, using analogies. The leader told me I need to find a job doing something like writing for Garrison Keillor. (Insert music here: Nice work if you can get it, and you can get it if you try...) I shouldn't try to work in a factory. Oh really? The only time I tried I walked off the job after three hours and told them they could keep the money. The good thing is I've gotten off my complacent rear end and am actively pursuing leads. I've got two in the pipeline right now.

When my children were small we made sacrifices so I could stay home and raise them myself. I always said I had the rest of my life to work. Well that was prophetic! Now it looks like I'll be doing just that, once I get another job. I'm making the effort and know it is only a matter of time.

No comments:

Post a Comment