Sunday, October 2, 2011

Overwhelmed

They found a new apartment for the old lady. I told them it had to be close to the elevator. Right now she is in 101, she will be moving to 301. It is a brand new conversion to assisted living. They started with the first two floors and now have some of the third floor done. If I had my druthers she would move to Shalom Home. But she doesn't need 24 hour care and it saves the taxpayers a lot of money to keep her in an apartment as long as possible. Management will give me a key mid October. I want to have her moved the weekend of the October 15 and 16.

My mother is 97 years old, frail, and very sad that my father is gone. She has beatified him in memory and sometimes I have to remind her that he was no saint. "But he adored me," she replies. She hates walking by the door to his room and can't wait to move.  I was hoping they wouldn't make her move or find an apartment very soon. At 97, how much longer can she last? (Don't ask, who thought she would last this long?) This woman has STUFF and I am feeling overwhelmed. There is not as much as before because my sister and I got rid of a ton of things when we packed the Brooklyn apartment in 2005.

I know if I ask my family they will come and help move her. I hate to ask people to give up much of their Saturday or Sunday. We are going to need muscle for the big stuff, as well as a furniture dolly. Then we need someone who can hang pictures. Also someone to hang window treatments. But first I have to make a list.

1. Ask for help
2. Gather boxes
3. Decide what to keep and what to give away
4. Pack boxes
5. Find a furniture dolly. There are plenty of carts for anything else
6. Ask for peace in my heart and patience in my actions
7. Give others a chance to do a good deed. (In Yiddish it is called a mitzvah and benefits both the giver and receiver.

There, that wasn't so bad. One step at a time. One breath at time. It is going to be fine. It might even be fun.)

No comments:

Post a Comment