Thursday, December 29, 2016

Wrapping my head around Trump voters

Recently, someone from my past got in touch with me on Facebook and I thought I'd friend them and reconnect. Oy, oy vey, oy vey is meir. (Not literally, but feeling like, oh, oh god, oh god help me - at least to me. Someone else can do a literal translation.)

We'd never been super close but her mother had been one of my favorite people growing up. This person had a post about Trump being her man and I thought she was joking. She wrote, "Carol we both voted for him, he will make this world a better place then Hillary could ever of made it.Wait & see he will turn this country around for the better." Oy vey, oy vey, oy vey.

This is who voted for him. The deluded, who he is stabbing in the back with his appointments even as I write this. I just don't know how anyone could have believed his posturing, his lies, his phony Christianity. I am trying not to get upset, but truth is, I am upset. I am upset that so many of our fellow citizens fell for his crap. 

On one hand, I knew that bunches of people voted for him, but they were faceless masses to me. On the other, I knew Hillary won the popular vote, so of course the people I know voted for her. And then I see my friend's posting and I am pulled up short. Yes, she is not well educated, and probably watches Fox News. But how could she and so many others be fooled into thinking Trump was a good alternative?

Well, I do know how. For eight years the Republican Party has been crying about how awful President Obama is. For every good thing he accomplished, they spread lies about the terrible state of our economy. For every school shooting, they disallowed reasonable gun control. People without health insurance getting health care, bad, bad, bad. Oh listen to me go on. I could vomit and I'm sure you could too.

Michelle Obama says "When they go low, we go high." I'm sorry, Michelle. It doesn't seem to be working. But what is the alternative? Getting low like they did, and still do? As much as I want to hide under a pillow, that is not the answer. My inbox is jammed with messages from groups and individuals saying we have to work together and stay strong. Which one gets my money? Which one gets my energy?

I miss Molly Ivans who had fun pointing out hypocrisy and the Emperor's New Clothes. I wish I knew someone who could lead us with humor and hope. The only way we are going to survive is if we can laugh.

Someone tell me it's a joke. Or tell me a good one that makes me smile.




1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete