Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Both hard and easy

This morning I got out the old red suitcase. It was dusty because I haven't been on vacation in a long time.  I brought it over to the assisted living apartment where my mother lives. While Patty, the hospice nurse gave her a shower, I filled the suitcase with nighties and underwear, sweaters, slacks, shirts. Pictures went in a tote with some toiletries. Between Patty and myself we got her into the car and off we went. for me, that was very hard. I knew this day was approaching, but I still got quite sad.

I drove up to Shalom Home West, found a wheelchair and luggage trolley. From that point, everything became easy. The staff welcomed her, the Hospice social worker made sure everything went well. The old lady said she was hungry and she went to lunch where she sat with others and ate some soup. I was able to kiss her goodbye and promised to return tomorrow morning.

The Shalom people have been doing senior care for over 100 years and they really have been lifesavers. They run Menorah Plaza where my folks lived and also have a huge campus with memory care and senior apartments, assisted living, hospice and nursing home. When you walk into their facilities, you cannot smell nursing home, not in the lobby, not on the floors. My mother, who is being supplemented by the county and the state is getting the same care as private pay patients. Thank you dear taxpayers, thank you.

We have told her that if she eats, gains some weight and mobility she can come home. I am at the point where it is OK either way. I am here for the endgame too.

2 comments:

  1. Well I am so happy that it is a good place. We will have to talk privately about where it is and plan a time so that I can go see her as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad there is a place like that for her, and that she understands that it is time to be there. Love, Jude

    ReplyDelete