Thursday, November 24, 2011

Peace in my heart

I used to love hosting Thanksgiving. Having all that love in our home was more delicious than all the good things to eat. Luckily I was able to experience that again, today. It wasn't in my own home, but the love was just the same, and the food, of course, was wonderful. Suffice it to say Clara was cooking. Those who know her will understand, and those who have never experienced a party given by Clara and Ernesto can never understand their particular bounty.

We were of all ages, Linus is just under 6 months old and Harriet is just under 98 years old. At one point my sister-in-law was able to arrange a four generation photo shoot with her mother, daughter, and grandchildren. And of course we took a group photo. I will add it to this blog when it is forwarded to me. Imagine, 54 degrees on Thanksgiving and all of us outside for the picture.

Something that added to my enjoyment of the day was being able to help with the prep and the serving. I peeled 13 pounds of yukon gold potatoes, chopped veggies, and set the table for 22 on Wednesday. Then, on Thursday, I carved two whole turkeys! It is easy if you know how. (Hint: remove each side of the breast and slice on cutting board.)

When my husband and I first talked about breaking up I said to him that I would not give up his family. They were my family, too. And when we told my mother-in-law, she told me I would always be her daughter. She and my brother and sister-in-law made it possible for me to live in my own place and I thank them dearly. So today we were all able to gather, including a neighbor who I invited, my 97 year old mother, my ex and our daughter and her husband and have no tension, just love and peace. Truly, my favorite holiday.

[I have not been blogging very often these days for two reasons. One is that I don't have much to say. The other is that someone who claims to know all about me, and says he is a friend of my brother-in-law has been posting horrible comments about me on this blog. Since I am the administrator, I block them. Pete can't believe he has any friends that are hateful, and will watch out for me. I have some tech people trying to run down the source of these comments so I can report harassment  to the police.]

No comments:

Post a Comment