Saturday, March 5, 2011

Apnea and Insomnia

I have never been a good sleeper. The old lady says it used to scare her when I would wake her up screaming as a little girl. They would come in and wake me up and I would go back to sleep. As I got older, I stayed up later and later reading by the light from the hallway. I still don't understand why I never just got up and read in the living room. It was probably forbidden. "Go to bed!" The first night I was away at camp, at age sixteen I kept my cabin mates awake with my noise.

At age twenty-one, I received meditation techniques that allowed me to tap into the energy that keeps us all alive. I had a profound experience and stopped fearing death. I was never a very faithful meditator, but I know it is there and stopped screaming in my sleep. I toss and turn and talk and sit up and make all kinds of noise. At the same time I am also a very sensitive sleeper. I used to complain about my husband's snoring. He told me I snore. That didn't bother me since I was asleep when I snored. (Sometimes, though, I would wake myself up with a loud snort when I fell asleep in the passenger seat on a trip. It always embarrassed me.) He started using Breathe Right strips and his snoring didn't bother me anymore since it became very rhythmical. How he ever put up with my shenanigans is a mystery to me. My daughters would become very alarmed when it seemed I stopped sleeping.

About eight years ago I was diagnosed with sleep apnea, a condition where I stop breathing, wake myself up, and go back to sleep. It could happen thirty or forty times a night. Obviously one does not get good deep sleep if one is always waking up for a moment. At the sleep clinic they tried me with a cpap machine that administered continuous air from a mask and it showed deeper sleep. I got a home machine and could never adjust to the mask. I tried four different masks and always wound up pulling it off after about two hours. Last year I went back to the clinic, was given a different mask that I seemed to tolerate better, but still could not wear for very long. They never told me at the clinic that about 40% of all users can not be helped by cpap.

My brother in-law told me about a dental device that helped him and I went to a special dentist to get one made. The dentist was upfront and told me that about 30% of the people he treats do not get relief from the apnea. The only way to tell was to go back to the sleep clinic and have them hook me up to all the machines and watch me sleep while wearing the device, which is a lot like a mouth guard and a retainer. I don't think I can afford 20% of $4,000. to find out if it is effective. I already know the answer: It is and it isn't. It takes care of the apnea but does nothing for the insomnia.

Tonight I was quite tired and went to be just before ten. I didn't read, just put in the device, closed my eyes and fell asleep. When I awoke, I figured it had to be at least four or five in the morning. But when I looked at the clock, it was only 11:53! It wasn't even two hours later. It wasn't even midnight. Holy Toledo.

I am not upset, but I am disappointed. Now I will stay up for awhile, reading, playing on the computer, maybe watching some TV. I don't have to stay in bed reading by the hall light. I am an adult and live in my own home with plenty to do.

Sleeping pills make me ill. Readers, if you have any cure for insomnia, please let me know.

6 comments:

  1. Well... You could try meditating. Seriously. Just the attempt might put you back to sleep.

    There are some herbal things you can try: kava kava, valerian root, mixtures of those two with others... Check at the health food store.

    Eating a little protein before going to bed - you would know better than I about that one, probably, but blood sugar dips and spikes used to wake me up.

    Warm milk - the tryptophan helps you sleep. Or chamomile tea - it's a relaxant.

    Take a magnesium supplement right before bed. It's a natural muscle relaxant and gentle sleep enhancer. 250mg and you can go up to 500mg if you can tolerate it, but it can have a laxative effect, so if it does, you can back off to 250
    again.

    If it's a busy mind that's the problem, get up and journal all the 'to-do's' you're worrying about, then set it aside for the morning and go back to bed...

    Aromatherapy - a little lavender oil on your temples before bed. It's a highly-regarded and well-researched aid to relaxation.

    Just a few thoughts. You'll probably need to do several things. Good luck!

    Denise from socal

    ReplyDelete
  2. The one time I had terrible insomnia for an extended period, I ended up needing treatment for anxiety. For me, drugs and therapy worked wonders. I know there are lots of other reasons to have trouble sleeping.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that I would get more done if I had Insomnia. I don't have the anxiety problems that you and Eri have though. My anxiety affects me in the now not with what I have or have not done in the past.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the advice, denise. I am going to look into some of those remedies.

    I am not feeling anxiety right now. In fact I am less anxious than I have been in a long time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Like Johnny said, my insomnia is anxiety induced. And I'll be anxious about something that I said or did 15 years ago. I know that right now I probably need my meds adjusted but I don't want to spend the time it's going to take to get on something new. My depression seems to be under good control, but my anxiety has skyrocketed. Dr Carlson has said that she wants me to see a pro to get my levels adjusted because I can't seem to find something that works. I don't really want to go through my entire history with someone new. But needs must, right?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Please do what needs to be done and also see if you can get some counseling to help with the anxiety. You are a wonderful person and deserve to live a more stress free life.

    ReplyDelete