Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Gearing Up

We are starting to gear up for the big trip to New Jersey.

A wonderful cousin's daughter is marrying on Saturday and my parents are so excited! This wedding is the highlight of their year and I think it may be the one thing getting them through this rotten winter. Frankly, when I heard about it last spring, I never thought they would be able to go.

They are so excited. Tomorrow I have to take the old man to the barber shop. He is going to have "the works". Haircut, hair on ears cut, eyebrow trim, and shave. For over fifty years the old lady (96) has been cutting the old man's hair. He is almost 95 and still has a full head of thin white hair. The old lady started working in beauty and barber shops 80!, yes 80 years ago at age 16. She is very propriatorey about letting anyone else cut his hair. It doesn't matter that she is legally blind, and cuts by feel. She has to sit down between each cut.

I put color in her hair on Sunday. She is now flaming strawberry blond and she will give herself a trim today or tomorrow. She likes to do her hair like Barbara Walters. Good thing she can't see very well, otherwise she would see it looks NOTHING like Barbara Walters. I will pack for them on Wednesday.

This is not an easy trip and my younger daughter is coming along to help. This is not a vacation for me; so why am I doing it? Because they want to go so very much. It is good for me to take on a challenge and see if I can do this with humor and love. They were so frail and sick when I moved them from NY, and now they are frail and forgetful, but full of anticipation for a party. The old lady is looking forward to being the matriarch and the old man is looking forward to wearing his pretty suit and shiny shoes.

I try to live by the Golden Rule and do unto others as I would have others do unto me. If it is true that what goes around comes around, I will be loved and cared for in my old age, whether I deserve it or not. I pray I am worthy.

No comments:

Post a Comment