Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Ranting and Raving

Monday evening I lost phone and internet service. I called Qwest repair and they told me I didn't have trouble on the line. Next morning I called the billing office to see if I hadn't paid the bill or something. They had not shut off the service so I called repair again. They told me someone would be out between 3 and 7, no later than 8. I asked if it was ok for me to go out before then and was told that was fine. At 8:15 I was told there was no repair order. I got pretty upset and asked to speak to a supervisor. He calmed me down and told me someone would be there between 8 and noon today. At 12:30 I called back and asked where the repair person was. I was told he would be there by 4:30. I went ballistic. I wanted to know why they couldn't call me to say why they would be late?

At 4:15 a repairman came and tested that I did not have service. Duh. He followed the line and found that it must have been pulled down on purpose in my neighbor's yard. He tried to get a bucket truck but was not successful. I was just called on the cell phone asking if it would be ok if they came out tomorrow morning? Please.

So here I am at Hennepin County Library using their computers and internet and realizing that as we get more and more dependent on the internet, we are becoming more vulnerable to technology. No electricity or gas or phone, and I as a semi-modern woman am lost. I can stand an occasional weekend in a rustic cabin with an outhouse and pump. But I want my ATM and phone banking. I want to pay bills online. I want modern life.

There are people in Africa and other parts of the world who walk miles for dirty water. When my phone service is restored I am going to make a donation to Play Pumps International as a gift for being so blessed in my life and for the awareness of how spoiled I can be.

1 comment:

  1. Hello, my name is Steph from Qwest. I am sorry it was so difficult to get your service repaired, and that you didn't at least get courtesy calls when your technician wasn't going to be there in a timely manner. I wanted to check in and see if your service is now all functional and if you have any other concerns I can help with? If so, please email me at talktous@qwest.com attention Steph, you can include a copy/link of your post, your billing phone number and address, and I'll be happy to help.

    thank you!

    Steph Lake
    Manager - Talk To Qwest Team

    talktous@qwest.com - attention Steph
    www.twitter.com/TalkToQwest

    "At Qwest your account information is confidential and protected by law, so I need your permission to access the account.”

    ReplyDelete